MBA, CPA, CIA, CISA, CRMA, CBA, CGMA, CFSA, CITP, CCSA, CGAP
Co-Founder, Non-Executive Chairman, and
Adjunct Faculty, University of Maryland, Robert Smith School of Business
Alan Siegfried (American citizen), a licensed Certified Public Accountant in Virginia, is the co-founder of the firm, served as Global Executive Chairman, from November 1, 2014 until July 1, 2021, and was responsible for corporate strategy and development as well as executive governance. Concurrently he served in a client service role as Global Head and Practice Leader of the Risk Management and Internal Audit Services practice. Alan is RKA’s non-executive Chairman and resides in Maryland with his family.
With leadership presence and residing in the Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New York metro areas; Miami; Houston; Austin; Atlanta; Columbus; Tampa; Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Quito, Ecuador; Bogota, Colombia; Mexico City; Brisbane, Australia; and Cologne, Germany, the firm principals are repeatedly sought-after in high stakes forensic, integrity services and special investigation, as well as risk, security/executive protection, litigation support, and compliance advisory services. They have worked for or served the world’s largest, most recognized, and respected companies. Together, RKA multi-lingual leaders some which are certified public accountants, accredited business valuators, certified internal auditors and certified fraud examiners, others certified in financial forensics, project management, audit leadership, government and information systems audit, and risk management, licensed attorneys, and personal protection specialists. We have decades of experience as former Fortune 30 senior executives, including CEOs and Board/Audit Committee members, Big4 accounting firm partners, external and internal auditors, compliance advisors, protection and intelligence community personnel, United States federal prosecutors, and state and federal American and foreign law enforcement and armed forces commissioned officers.
Alan has over 40 years of experience serving in internal audit and risk management leadership roles for international organizations and financial institutions in both the public and private sector. He has expertise in enterprise risk management (ERM), strategy, business processes, internal controls, IT auditing, compliance, operations, and customer service, and has traveled extensively throughout the world (30-plus countries) to lead projects, present at conferences, and serve on boards and committees.
He is a seasoned chief audit executive and enterprise risk management (ERM) professional and has served as partner to the Big Four firms of Deloitte LLP and EY LLP. Alan has also served in the public sector for the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Inspector General, and has served as part of the senior management team in multiple financial institutions. As auditor general for Inter-American Development Bank (the oldest and largest regional multi-lateral development bank with 48 member countries, 2,000-plus staff members, and a market cap of nearly $170 billion), he completely restructured and reengineered the internal audit function to become a world class function which received the highest possible external quality assurance evaluation.
Alan’s astute strategic, leadership and analytical competencies enable him to successfully develop strategic relationships, build and lead audit teams, and effectively communicate internal audit strategies to chief executives and board members. He has published numerous articles for professional journals and currently serves as an audit committee and board member to such organizations as the MidAtlantic Farm Credit-ACA, United Nations Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), and formerly at the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Bon Secours Health System, Inc.
- University of Maryland, Smith School of Business, Assistant Academic Director and Adjunct Professor (2005-Present)
- Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union, Director of Internal Audit (2011-2013)
- Inter-American Development Bank, Auditor General (2006-2011)
- Grant Thornton LLP, Partner (2005-2006)
- Ernst & Young LLP, Partner (1999-2005)
- Deloitte LLP, Partner (1995-1999)
- First Maryland Bancorp, Senior Vice President and General Auditor (1982-1995)
- US General Services Administration, Information Systems Audit Program Director
- Government Accountability Office (GAO), Auditor and Supervisory Auditor
UNIVERSITY AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Alan is currently the Assistant Academic Director for Internal Auditing in the Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) Program at the University of Maryland’s Smith School of Business, where he also serves as an adjunct professor of graduate internal audit courses. He has also taught both graduate and undergraduate courses in information systems management, internal auditing, ERM, and information systems auditing at several universities in the U.S. and abroad.
Additionally, Alan has presented and lectured at conferences and seminars, both internationally and domestically, on such internal audit topics as: risk management, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, information systems auditing and computer security.
OTHER LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- MidAtlantic Farm Credit, ACA, Board and Audit Committee (and is the designated Board Financial Expert) (2015-Present)
- PAHO (United Nations Pan American Health Organization), Audit Committee Chair (2020 to present)
- PAHO (United Nations Pan American Health Organization), Audit Committee Member (2019 to 2020)
- UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund), Audit Committee (2012-2018)
- Bon Secours Health System Inc., Audit and Compliance Committee (2012-2019)
- Bon Secours Health System, Baltimore, Board of Directors and Audit and Compliance Committee Chair (2006-2012)
- University of Maryland Smith School of Business Accounting and Information Assurance Policy Advisory Board (2006-Present)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors Professional Issues Committee (2012-Present)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors International Certification Board
- The Institute of Internal Auditors North American Board, Chair
- The Institute of Internal Auditors Baltimore Chapter, President
- Maryland Association of CPAs, Members in Industry Committee
- Bank Administration Institute, CBA Certification Board
- ISACA (formerly Information Systems Audit and Control Association): Standards Board member; Audit Committee Chair; CISA Certification Board; Executive Vice President, Certification
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND ASSOCIATIONS
- MBA with concentration in Management Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- BS, Information Systems with concentration in Accounting, Kings College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA)
- Certified Bank Auditor (CBA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA)
- Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP)
- Certification in Control Self-Assessment (CCSA)
- Certified Government Audit Professional (CGAP)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Maryland Association of CPAs (MACPA)
While RKA Worldwide Group LLC (USA) and RKA Worldwide do Brasil Consultoria and companies in formation, RKA Worldwide de Colombia SAS, RKA Worldwide de Argentina SA, and RKA Worldwide Security and Protection LLC, employs, associates and contracts with attorneys and CPAs, we are not public accounting firms nor law firms nor are we registered as such.